Father: Son, you just wait… Good things happen to those who waits…
Son: But Pi… Great things happen to those who takes action…
well, there is some wisdon-battle going on here
(Catch-up post: Feb 2013)
Last night was unplanned. I never intend to eat dinner actually, not that hungry, but since Jolo was having his dinner (seldom I see that), I dined with him. Small talks lead to 2-hr conversation between a mother and a teenage son, who talked about school, friends, girls, dates, kiss and the sacred act 😦 and his take about all of it… (Imagine: son: unashamed, mum: outwardly cool but secretly aghast)… But I’m glad he let me “in” in this stage of his life…
The mother in me wanted to protest and get freaky over some certain stuff but i restrained myself… 🙂 i let him brag about his courting style, his ways of “learning” all these… (he do research and lot of reading, mind you). I have also snippet of info about how he treats girls. I might not call him a total gentleman, but he surely cares about the girls he treats as friends, reminding or warning them of what to act and not to act around boys (like him). At this point, he claimed he considered himself an “informed” kid but not rushing on things (thankfully! wheew!). He likes to be “popular” (he’s quite so in twitter), but despised his other friends who go to the length of being a “social-climber”… This fad about his twitter thing, I feel, is beginning to wane, i know so… He doesn’t stick much on stuff that are just “trending”. He shifts and tries again other stuff, or go back to his most favorites hobbies, like skating, reading, art and music (still a handful).
This boy is not anymore a boy… I have to remind myself… I pray that he retains his values (or any good values I like to think I have taught him)…. I hope I will be there for him or he wants me to be there for him in times of ups and downs…
This is a new phase for the boy… and the mum…
Late post: it happened May 27, 2012
Before we end the summer vacation, we have to have meaningful, fun-filled getaway together as family. Since taking the whole family to Bohol is quite to costly (i have good-for-2 free vacation to Bohol, but bringing the kids along is a big chunk in budget), so we decided to have a family overnight getaway at 8 Waves Waterpark and Resort, a nice place in Bulacan too. So we packed our bag (luggage!) and bought some food, and got a room in their hotel (thanks for the discount, we are supplying the souvenir pillows in their resort).
We had a great time together…!! The first time of us 5 (only), together in overnight trip…
(April 14, 2012) I am now here in a dance studio watching ChaChi Gonzales of “I.am.Me” doing her signature steps. Jolo is one of the “students” of about 100 kids/teens on this “once-in-a-lifetime” dance tour of this dance group in the Philippines… Jolo’s favorite. We have signed up for this dance workshop since January (Jolo kept on bugging me for this). I gave in to his whim (again)… Anyway, this is yet again just a piece for the “memory bucket” of Jolo.
Jolo sure had a great time during this 2-day event, he met new friends, seen his crush (Chachi) and admired the dance moves of the rest of I.am.Me dance crew. The workshop was full-packed and tiring, but fun. I was there the whole time during Chachi’s time (she’s really an admirable, passionate, young, cute girl who knows her art!). And for that “pricey” event, what’s left are the I.am.Me bowler, autographed cap and memories of fun time! (oh, there are youtube video with Jolo in it – just watching as audience 🙂 “> here and here ).
I have been lagging in my reading lately, finding so many excuses why i havent finished yet the bookssss i have started… Then here’s Jolo prompting me to read yet another book… This time, Hunger Games… I dont wan’t to touch it because i haven’t gone past the 2nd chapter of 1st Percy Jackson (he had already finished the series!)…
Then came the announcement of the movie of HG! Jolo asked me if we could see the movie together on its first day before his bday….. (which I gratefully agreed, for the fear he might bring someone else)…. BUT on the condition that I will read the book! Oh-ohh!
Since it was already 10 days before the screening, i reluctantly devised a plan to read 30 pages a day! In time for the movie day…. (Imagine that this is the busiest month of my life because of tax season!). Yes, I reluctantly started this book – this juvenile book!
Well, you’ve probably guessed by now what happened next!
I was hooked!
3 days after, done! (and if it was not really busy tax season, i could have done it faster)….
Then the movie….
Then on his birthday, eventhough we already have the first book, I bought the trilogy books (the only one available in bookstore)…
Guess what? i have finished the two books in record-breaking pace!
Now, i have to pester Jolo to read them too, and fast! Or else….. 🙂
My first son have way passed the kid-teen barrier… I was not worried last year on his 13th because nothing seemed much change… but then suddenly I thought i was prepared for this, him going through much adolescent changes, but I am not, between last year and now… the “transformation” seems abrupt too (or its just my imagination)… but then again, it amaze me how he handles and enjoys his changes….
This blog is intended to “freeze” this moment in this jolo’s stage. Eventually in the future, I will read this and smile… I just wish he will grow up more to be a fine gentleman. For now, these is Jolo at this stage…
1. He amazes me with his musical instincts, he can play guitar and piano without training or even a songbook/musical note.
2. He is now a choreographer to his dance group and being considered as fine leader.
3. He is now an avid book reader (ouch on my pocket)… but he have already read many great series, and is now seeking for my old classic serious books like “The Shack” and “Sophies World” (to think he got hooked to books only a year before in their school book fair)
4. He is still in rubic cubes, puzzles and magic. Mind you his rubic cube is now that pentagon shape, with 24 pcs per color.
5. Shoes and caps are his favorite collection now.
6. He is a food-picker, with only few favorites, nothing much change on this area, so I have to put him on correct diet.
7. Weights- he is now conscious about his body… well he is getting taller but not yet too lean.
8. Religion – he got so excited with the youth religious service he attended and begging to join again.
9. He is a fine artist, I suppose, he can draw and create characters. (he even “sells” his works in drafting -uhuh)
10. He can learn so many things easily by observing and watching, like pen spinning and that difficult dance steps, and that electric guitar piece.
11. He is a little “obsessed” with his hair… had to spend more time in the morning fixing it.
12. He is fun to be with, he shares funny stuff and laughs in small stuff.
13. He is not sporty… but as he claim, he is “artisty”
14. He is my fine, good, loving, funny, curious, compassionate boy who I believe will turn up to be a fine gentleman.