Hmmp… I’ve been “joining” the mobile enthusiasts lately… and that’s because of Instagram! I bet most of the people now is aware if this genius awesome app. Well, I’m not really into latest gadgets and celfone… my past 6 celfones (since the advent of celphones 20+ years ago, imagine 6!) are not the top-of-the-line and all were least popular. But now I have an iPhone4s and I never regretted to have “splurged” on this (actually I got it thru Globe plan, but with costly monthly subscription, but that’s ok). Maybe, I “waited” for best all-in-features celphone in years that’s why I never want to buy hi-tech celphone in the past (reason, reason… 🙂 )
Anyway, Instagram (and Flipboard and my mobile WordPress and online stock trading) are the reasons why I’m loving my IPhone4s. Here are my few thoughts about Instagram (or alibi why I’m hooked into it):
1. Handy photography – if one loves photography and can’t really bring along every time their bulky cameras… then this is your things. I snap photos anywhere and any subject without being too flashy or obvious or boasty. See this collection from “Gramfeed”
2. Collection of beautiful photos – if you are like me who has Flickr and Picassa accounts and have ventured the “Iheartit” site… then Instagram is the celfone version where to keep awesome photos of yours (it must be really your photos!), and accessible too in your PC or laptop. And you can organize it anytime, anywhere. I also choose nice shots taken by my Canon G11 and put it here. No, it’s not exclusive for “iphone” shots. See here.
3. Edit and filters – it has filters to improve the color, depth, shadow, lighting of photos. I only use the basics and I never overdo my photos, otherwise it might loss its originality and warmth. Some I leave it as “original” (See related article)
4. No ads, no pop-up – I actually read a blog about the founder of Instagram who never intend to commercialize this app and join the wagon and monetizing every click. It pays his good intention when it eventually been “monetized” bigtime when it was bought bigtime by FB… Inspiring article, I will post it here later.
5. Inspiration – one can find a lot of inspiration of subjects with fellow instagramers. The variety of interests are unending and so inspiring. Group of users are finding each others because of same interesting photos they see and appreciate.
6. Talents – one need not be a professional photographer to be in here… but even simple mom, kid or everyday people realize that there is a “photographer” in us and we continue snapping shots of our own interest and loving it! (See one of my favorite instagrammers collection).
7. Realization that there’s beauty everywhere – One can find photos so beautiful that you realize that the same scenes are familiar to your naked eyes and always taking it for granted. Even simple scene can be a great subject, like train tracks, an old lady, post lamp, feet…
8. “Friends” – this is a social network of talented photographers and simple people who are united in liking photography and life! This showcases collections of one’s photos (even of old photos from old cameras) that others truly appreciate. Likers and followers, I believe, are sincere about clicking the button “Like” and commenting if they are really feel so!
9. Warmth – This is how I feel in seeing others’ life through their own eyes. (Example is a simple shot of a foot while the she is resting on the grass and thinking about life and her goals, and another is a shot of kid enjoying bubbles)
10. Sincerity – This is what really comes to mind when a friend asked me what I love about Instagram. Sincerity of the users of having taken a shot of subjects they love, and sincerity of the “Likers” of choosing the best from each other’s collections, because they truly like it! Not all maybe, but at least I speak of myself and most of those Instagramers I “bumped” into.
There you go! I am not a techie-person… but suddenly I fell for my celfone and IG!